State of California Voting Requirements


U.S. Domestic Voters

Local Elections

California Municipal Elections held on Tue Nov 2, 2021



New Voter Registration

  • Online by Mon Oct 18, 2021
  • Postmarked by Mon Oct 18, 2021
  • Conditional Registration Begins on Wed Oct 20, 2021

Absentee Ballot Request

Received by Tue Oct 26, 2021

Absentee Ballot Return

  • Postmarked by Tue Nov 2, 2021
  • Hand Delivered by Tue Nov 2, 2021 8:00pm PDT
  • Post received by Fri Nov 5, 2021

Early Voting

Dates Vary by County. Contact Local Election Office. -
For early voting, dates vary by county. Includes the following UDEL elections: Amador, El Dorado, Fresno, Humboldt, Kings, Madera, Plumas, Riverside, San Joaquin, Santa Cruz, Sierra, Siskiyou, Sonoma, and Yolo. Also includes: Los Angeles Local and Municipal, Madera Co. Special, Special Vacancy Mail Ballot Election Los Banos Unified School District Area 1, San Bernardino Consolidated, and City of Oxnard District 2, Special Vacancy Elections.


You can register to vote or update your registration information:

  • online
  • by mail
  • in person at your elections office

Election Day Voting

Polling places are open from 7am to 8pm on Election Day. Certain elections, such as stand-alone municipal elections, are conducted entirely by-mail.

Find my polling place

Early Voting

Any registered voter can go to a county elections office in person to receive a vote-by-mail ballot to vote prior to and on Election Day. Some counties also offer in-person voting at vote centers and other locations before Election Day.

Absentee Voting

Any registered voter may request a mail ballot and vote by mail. California offers permanent vote-by-mail status for any registered voter.

You are eligible to vote in California if you:

  • Are a U.S citizen
  • Are a resident of California
  • Are at least 18 years old by Election Day

You are NOT eligible to vote in California if:

  • You have been legally declared "mentally incompetent" by a court
  • You are in prison or detention or jail or penal institution
  • You are on parole for a felony conviction or convicted of a felony
For further information, please see US Vote's [California Ex-offender and Misdemeanor Voting Rights]( page.

You may preregister to vote in California

  • At the age 16

Student Eligibility

If you are a student, you are eligible to vote in California if:

  • You reside in California but are attending college in another state
  • You reside in another state but attend college in California

Voter Registration

To register to vote in California you should provide:

  • The Last Four Digits of your Social Security Number
  • Your California Driver's License or State/non-driver ID Number

If you are registering to vote for the first time by mail, you will need to provide a copy of a valid ID. Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • Valid Photo ID
  • Utility Bill, Bank Statement, Government Check, or Paycheck that Shows your current name and address
  • Government Issued Document that shows your current name and address

You can alternatively show one of these documents when you vote to complete your registration.

Voting In-Person

If you registered to vote in California, you may be required to present valid photo ID if you are voting for the first time or your registration is incomplete. You can use any ID from this list:

  • Valid US Passport
  • Insurance Plan ID Card
  • Public Housing ID Card
  • Health Club ID Card
  • Valid Employee ID
  • Valid California Driver's License
  • Valid Student ID
  • Out of State Driver's License or Non-driver ID
  • Valid Military ID
  • Debit or Credit Card
  • Valid California Issued ID
  • Valid Commercial ID

If you don't have any of these ID's, please look at the list of alternative ID's in California.

If you do not have an ID from the above list, in California additional, acceptable forms of ID include:

  • Certificate of Vehicle Ownership
  • Discharge Certificates, Pardons or other Similar Documents Issued to you by a Government Agency
  • Lease or rental statement or agreement Issued by a Government Agency
  • Government Check
  • Sample Ballot mailed to you
  • Voter notification or confirmation card
  • Current Utility Bill
  • ID Issued by a Government Disability Agency
  • Insurance Plan or Discount Drug Plan Card Issued by a Government Agency
  • Property Tax Statement
  • A Government Issued Document that shows your Current Name and Address
  • Bank Statement
  • Other Official Elections Document
  • Valid California Vehicle Registration
  • University Tuition Bill Issued by a Government Agency
  • Public Transportation Authority Senior Discounted Fare ID Card
  • Identification Documents Issued by Government Homeless Shelters or Other Facilities
  • Government Paycheck
  • Drug prescription Issued by a Government Doctor or Health Care Provider

Your ID documents must show your Current Name and Address and be no older than the Date of the last Election.

Domestic Voter

In-Person Mail Fax Email Online

Voter Registration

- -

Absentee Ballot Request

- - -

Blank Ballot To Voter

- - -

Voted-Absentee Ballot Return

- - -